13.5.17

Building trhe Octagon Pt.6 Whoops!

*
I decided to have a go at drawing the rough idea in SketchUp. Not without some difficulty, I might add. I find the learning curve too steep despite all the YT Beginner's videos I have watched. Like most computer programs they rely on memory and practice. In the absence of either they are as opaque as mud. Enough of the justification for my failure to become proficient:
 
This is a rough sketch of the planned building. Seeing it to scale, like this, has me disliking the arched dome. It might have worked on a squat, square building but the arched design on top jars my senses.

The corners of the 'dome' overhang the octagon and may even leave it bare in places as it rotates unless further oversized.

I suppose the ends of the barrel could be leaned inwards. Lots of image searches around octagon + buildings + sheds + gazebos + barns + domes + observatories and I am still undecided. To make matters worse the observatory will be visible from afar through the gap between the house and the hedge . So doesn't want to be too "obvious."

Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: