17.5.17

Building the Octagon Pt.10 And then there were eight!

*
The last post was more difficult to raise than the previous ones due to a lack of support. Four perimeter joists had to be added. I cheated and clamped some off-cuts to the uprights to give the upper joists something to rest on while I drove the screws home. A try square had given me a scribed line right around each post to ensure no errors crept in.

Checking each joist with the 4' builder's level proved my work wasn't far out. This was confirmed by laying a 2"x 4" across the octagon and checking the levels across the center.

The posts can withstand a good push around the circumference but they are not nearly so stiff radially. This is to be expected before the upper frame is stiffened with joists across the center. Though the Octagon is quite happy supporting ladders against the upper joist ring. The slight floppiness is visible in the comparison between each post's uprightness in the attached images. 

The post spacing across the center was acceptable when checked with a telescopic pole. Which was a bit of a surprise considering my lack of marking out. I do not recommend you copy my slapdash example if you want real accuracy.

The second image shows the view from the upstairs window. The folding beech chair is for taking a rest when I get too hot in the 68F, 78% humidity. I have cleared all the ladders out of the way to celebrate the basic framework's completion. It feels quite roomy inside the building. No doubt that will change when the sides are covered. The pier, telescopes and mounting will all eat up space.

I used a long rope to try and pull back the oak saplings which are crowding the far side of the framework. This did not go well. They are far too stiff to respond to a puny, human pull. I have no problem at all with the flowering shrubs in the left foreground. They will soften the appearance of the building and provide free afternoon shade.



Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: