5.2.17

ASCOM-AWR Intelligent Drive System Pt.2: We have GOTO! [Sometimes.]

😎


The AWR IH2 was obviously recognizing the USB-Serial adapter because it was showing DR Connected at power up.

Again I am indebted to Bob Salazar for his very clear and useful set-up video. He is using ASCOM-iOptron, StellariumScope and Stellarium and goes through all the steps I needed myself with only minor changes. Well worth watching the video a few times prior to attempting a complete Stellarium telescope set-up from scratch.

https://youtu.be/8pYdGhYKqAw

The secret to getting Stellarium to work with ASCOM-AWR was StellariumScope. This is a  separate software download independent of Stellarium itself. StellariumScope gave me the initial configuration screen I was missing yesterday. Luckily it showed I had the ASCOM-AWR driver safely loaded.

Note that Stellarium has to be opened, closed and restarted to update StellariumScope's settings. Failure to restart Stellarium might cause difficulty. The StellariumScope configuration panels offer running advice in a series of selection boxes on this matter as configuration proceeds. 

The system wanted to use COM1 but under Device Manager > Ports I could clearly see the USB_Serial adapter was on COM3. So I manually changed the setting to COM3 in the Stellarium Telescope configuration panel and was rewarded with [telescope] Connected. 

ASCOM-AWR is not listed amongst the commercial mounts in Stellarium. So I chose Meade Autostar [compatible.] Now I was rewarded with my first slew from the Stellarium SLEW panel button. Initial attempts to use Stellarium's default Ctrl+1 Goto slews did not produce any slews. Which was disappointing having come so far.

At this point I decided to update Stellarium by uninstalling and reloading the latest version. I was initially running 1.31 instead of the latest 1.51. [From fuzzy memory.]

After further configuration in the StellariumScope configuration panels I was rewarded with Connected and [finally] a [named] label [target reticule] on the Stellarium sky screen.

I was then able to produce Gotos by left clicking on Mercury and many other objects on the Stellarium screen. Goto slews were at the same motor speed as AWR's own slews using the IH2's own handset buttons. There was sometimes a hesitation before and after a Goto before the reticule sat squarely over the chosen object on the screen.

Goto accuracy was fine but the IH2 handset allows manual centering and Sync in case of errors. The Stellarium sky is full of artificial satellites. In theory, I suppose the drive system could follow a satellite. Though I haven't tried that yet. Capturing images of the ISS anybody?  You'll need fast enough slews to keep it in sight!

All of the AWR kit is resting on the floor within reach of my W10 PC for these early trials.
This has the advantage, apart from greater comfort from the cold, Danish winter, of not tying the mounting into tight knots. I have not yet set AWR to avoid the ground or any other optional limits. In fact, I have not even given an indication of mount alignment on the North Pole.

Initial Goto tests are probably best avoided with an OTA fitted to the mounting unless it can safely cope with being turned upside down. With a symmetrical saddle or dovetail the scope can easily be fitted inverted if the dovetail is not marked somehow.

Pressing any of the Slew buttons on the AWR handset will immediately stop the motors during a Goto slew. Which is very handy if you need to escape from a possible collision situation, tight cable, OTA inversion, or even an unwanted, auto meridian flip.

The final image shows Stellarium in daylight with the low midday sun typical of 55N in early February. The telescope named Scope 1 is surrounded by the chosen object marker following a Goto slew.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
 *

No comments: