4.2.17

ASCOM-AWR Intelligent Drive-system Pt.1: FTDI USB-Serial? Yes, no, maybe.

*
My first attempt to use the entire AWR system with the USB-Serial adapter proved a dud.

Stellarium eventually showed telescope connected but offered no controls. I had expected ASCOM-AWR to show something on connection but nothing appeared. The IH2 AWR handset continued to work normally and started tracking automatically. The handset showed "connected" in its display.

A few short beeps were heard at intervals which I hadn't experienced before. Could they be coming from the FTDI adapter?

I tried the various telescope options within Stellarium but nothing had any affect. I downloaded the latest Telescope Control Plug-in and set it to start automatically on Stellarium start-up. There is no AWR selection under Telescope drive system choice. Meade, Celestron, EQ, Synscan, etc. This is a bit of a worry if Stellarium needs the correct mounting software to function at all.

I opened the ASCOM Platform 6 and tried various options from the very long list but nothing obvious happened. There was no sign of a telescope choice box or the usual red controls. Not until later when I had finally given up, disconnected everything, packed it all away and re-opened ASCOM.

ASCOM's "User Guide" is strictly for those interested in the commercial exploitation of ASCOM software. Nothing in the way of a "Beginner's guide" for the mere telescope owner and paying customer for ASCOM drivers. I could have a simulator but that won't make the motors go round nor the mounting to move.

I joined the ASCOM talk forum on Yahoo. A topic search proved there was precious little discussion on AWR. The long list of ASCOM 'partners' did not mention AWR.

I definitely have the driver for the FTDI adapter and the AWR driver is also listed.

The question is whether ASCOM should show itself automatically when suitable components or software is connected?

I looked at EQMod and downloaded it to see if anything obvious happened. No reason why it should since I don't have an EQ mount to trigger any reaction. I downloaded EQASCOM without apparent effect. Again, no EQ series mounting.

I have now downloaded the latest version of StellariumScope.  I shall have to reconnect all the AWR kit and try Stellarium again.

Here is an excellent introduction to StellariumScope and Stellarium used to control a telescope.

 https://youtu.be/8pYdGhYKqAw


*

No comments: